Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mother of a Soldier

   

    The one and only son of the Preacher and I, has held up his right hand and taken his oath to defend our country. So now we are the parents of a Soldier.

     These words, ‘mother of a Soldier’, have not fully sunk into my brain. It is partly due to the fact that he has not actually left to serve his country, but it is really because I am not ready to fully embrace all that these words entail.

     Did I know that someday I would become the mother of a soldier? One night, when our son was twelve years old, he confided in me that he wanted to serve in the military. I remember feeling apprehensive, but also I remember feeling a little proud. I documented that conversation in a scrapbook page. There were no pictures taken of that night, just our conversation. I wanted to remember those words so that I could retell them to my son, if and when the day came that he did join the military.

     Within the last seven years my son has finished his home-school high school, received his AA degree from our local community college, and attended several college programs. I put the possibility of my son spending time in the military in the very back of my mind (I mean way back there), even though he did bring up the idea every once in a while.  You try to think about what career your son will pursue and the military is not on a mother’s top 10 list of careers for her child.

     When your child is born into this world, you think that it is your responsibility to keep them safe from all harm, to protect them. You teach them the warning signs of danger, you tell them how to avoid these dangers by saying things like – “Don’t run with scissors in your hand.”, “Don’t touch the stove, it’s hot!”, “Don’t climb so far up!”, “Look both ways before crossing the street.” Even as they grow older, you’re still there letting them know that there are still dangers to beware of and to avoid – how to drive a car safely, what to look out for when they go away to college – you still think that their safety is your responsibility.  

     So what now? That responsibility of keeping him safe is now completely out of my hands. He won’t be here, I won’t be able to help him through the hard times, the rough times, and the dangerous times. He is a young man now and with that he has made his life decision. Eventually, we as mothers, do have to give up that motherly control. The one thing that I can be certain of is that my God, his God, will still be there as He has been all of his life. No matter where he is stationed, our Savior will be looking after him. I know that I will have to remind myself daily of this fact. I have to remember that he is and was always a gift from God and I have to remember that God put him on this earth for a reason and a purpose. Now is the time for my son to find out what that purpose is.


     I am praying daily for my son and I ask that you too, may pray for my son, once in a while. The Preacher and I, we thank you in advance for all of your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...