Wednesday, November 5, 2014

This Is When You Rely On Your Faith


The son of the Preacher and I raised his right arm and took the oath to support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. He pledged that he would obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of his officers. The oath ends in "So help me God".

The day began with our son being driven in an Army bus from his hotel and arriving at the MEPS office very, very early in the morning. We arrived around 8:00 in the morning. His recruiters had told us to be sure to get there early because you never knew when he would be sworn in.

We arrived and were told to have a seat in the Family Lounge. Our son was in another area waiting for his instructions. We were able to see him and talk with him off and on through out the day. He would be moved from one office to another getting all of the proper paperwork ready. 

While sitting in the Family Lounge you would see other families come in and take a seat. Upon their arrival you would talk with each other, crack a few jokes, ask questions about each other's sons or daughters, the mood was lighthearted. As the day progressed and as these sons and daughters were then sworn in and the families would leave, the mood of the room took a drastic change. No longer were we cracking jokes and telling lighthearted stories. All of the mothers had the same look on their face. It all became so real.

We had been waiting from 8:00 in the morning and now it was close to 3:00 in the afternoon. You wonder when, when will they ever finish up all of the red tape that our son has to go through, but then I remember thinking 'why am I anxious for it to be over?' 'Why do I want this day to end?' I didn't want it to end. I might have been uncomfortable there in that sterile building but at least once in awhile I could look up and see my son walking down the hallway. I could see him sitting in one of the rooms that they put the boys in while they waited. 

And then the waiting came to an end. They called the families in. Let us stand along a wall, told us we could take pictures, thanked us for the sacrifice we were making. They asked the boys to raise their right hand and confirm their acknowledgement of the oath. You then are asked to wait down by the elevators for your sons to go through one more line and then they can come and say their good-byes. 

And just like that he's gone. You no longer will be the one making sure their clothes are laundered, they are eating right, they get enough rest. They are not in your care any longer. 

The tears flowed, I didn't know that my body would feel like someone ripped out my stomach and my heart all at the same time.

We got a phone call late last night. The one where they are allowed to call for 60 seconds just to let you know they arrived okay. Our son sounded so tired. He wasn't allowed to say very much. Most of the conversation was coming from our side of the phone. And then again, he says I have to go, the line goes dead, and he's gone.

This is the hardest thing his father and I have had to go through in all of his life. This is the time where your faith is tested, where you know that your faith in God is the only thing that keeps you going. You have to pray and believe that your son will be okay and that, with the Lord's help, he will get through this. With the Lord's help we will get through this.

I ask all who read this that you pray for our son. Pray for his safety, pray that he finds other boys who love the Lord, pray that he remains strong in his faith. I also ask you to pray for the Preacher and I. Thank you.

Love from the Preacher and I


2 comments:

  1. I understand. We have been through this twice. I have similar photos. One son left two weeks after graduation and his twin left a year later. They do videos of basic training with each flight. Our son sent that home to us and on that video was our son's head being shaved start to finish. That did me in. I had always cut his hair. A mom thing, I guess. This was 12 years ago. The boys left as kids and now they are men. One is still in, the other served six years. Deployments were difficult, but you rest in God's sovereignty. He loves them more than we do. Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...