Friday, October 31, 2014

With Much Appreciation to the Preacher


Today is the last day of October. Today is Reformation Day commemorating the day that Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the church doors. It is also Halloween which is probably what this day is most known for.

But today I wanted to take the time to say Thank You to my Preacher because this is the last day of Pastor Appreciation Month. My appreciation and love for him won't stop after today, I just wanted to include mine here in October with all of the others who have shown their appreciation to their Pastors.

Our congregation has done a wonderful job of showing their appreciation through their kind words and by the work that was done on our house while we were away in Tennessee. 

The first time I heard my Preacher teach I knew there was something different about him. He taught in such a way that you could understand the scripture, he brought the scriptures out of this lofty King James setting and brought them down to our level. We who heard these teachings understood that the scriptures were for us, for the lives we live right now.

I then heard him preach from the pulpit and again there he placed the scriptures and their message right before me so that I and everyone else who was hearing them, could understand that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was also the God for us. No longer were we beat down with the fire and brimstone preaching of the past but he showed us that God is the God of love and grace. 

(I also loved the fact that he didn't like to stay behind that pulpit. He needed to come out from behind there to feel like he was more accessible to those who were in the church that day.) 

I love the fact that through his studying and preaching he has tried his very best to show that love and grace to his congregation. No matter what church we have served in, he truly loves the people and wants to be a part of their lives showing them the love of Christ.

He has been my rock through the bad times and has been, and still is, my very best friend. We have been a team from the day we married 30 years ago. He has been the best father he knows how to be. He loves our son so much and has always tried to teach him a foundation that he can rely on.

There have been awesome, wonderful times in leading a church congregation but there also have been those days that you doubt that you can still hear the Lord's calling. Through all of that he is still strong in the Lord. He loves the Lord, he loves the inerrant word of God and I know that is what I love most about him. He is our spiritual leader here in his own household. I couldn't imagine living without him.

Thank you to my love, my best friend and to my preacher!

Love from the Preacher's wife

No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...