Thursday, October 30, 2014

Women of Faith


This past weekend I went to the Women of Faith Conference in Denver along with three ladies from my church.

It has been several years since I have gone to the WOF Conference. I chose not to attend or even try to put together a group from my church to attend for a few reasons.

One of the reasons is -- that years ago, one of the last times I attended, was when I was in such a depressed state. I had so many negative thoughts running through my mind. I felt that year maybe if I would attend the conference with a few women from my church, I would hear the amazing speakers and find how to have positive thoughts again. Maybe I could feel good about myself again. During that conference I purchased a necklace at the WOF booth. It is silver with a pink flower on one side and the word "celebrate" on the other. The theme that year was "Celebrate Joy" and I knew that I needed joy, His joy. Unfortunately that weekend did not end the way that I had hoped. I think I was even worse than I had been before attending. I continued to wear the necklace though. I would feel it around my neck and I would pray that the Lord would help me remember that true joy comes from Him.


When I would think of attending in the years after that, my mind would bring back those memories and feelings. I just couldn't get myself to get excited about attending.

 But this year I decided to go. Three women at church came to me and asked if I wanted to go so I decided "let's do it!"  I found myself looking forward to being with these women, I was looking forward to the conference.

Friday evening arrived and we found our seats. The music began and I found myself raising my hands in praise. The speakers on Friday and Saturday were awesome. Many of them were new to me and at first I was disappointed the speakers from past conferences were not there but I began to realize that just as the Women of Faith team had changed....so have I!

I'm not the same person I was all those years ago. Through the years, through the pain, through the depression, I began to find Jesus and his joy.  I began to have a more personal relationship with him.

All of this made the weekend even more special. I was able to listen with new hearing and learn so much more.

I still wear my "celebrate" necklace, even though the original leather chain has long since disintegrated, I have put it on new chain and ever so often I rub it between my fingers to help me, on the hard days, to remember to look for God's joy.


I want to thank these ladies for asking me to go with them. Thank you for helping me remember the joy of being with my Christian sisters and praising our Lord together by singing and by hearing His word alongside 6,996 other Women of Faith!

Love from the Preacher and I


1 comment:

  1. Linda,

    Thanks for posting this. I too was deeply moved at the conference this weekend. It wasn't by accident that the 4 of us were together either. God's doing. I praise God that you've moved past that season of your life and into JOY! I've been there myself as it's difficult but more importantly "With God All Things Are Possible". Celebrate again and again!!!! You're an amazing woman! Sister in Christ, Randi Robertson

    ReplyDelete

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...