Friday, May 8, 2015

The Little Old Lady In the Motor Home

For this Mother's Day weekend, I thought I'd introduce you to my mother, Lula Mae.

I love this picture of her. It says a lot about her. This was taken back in the late '80's or early '90's. This is her 30 foot motor home.

As a kid, our family went camping a lot during the summers. At one time my parents had a camper that they parked in a camp ground next to a lake in Indiana. We traveled out here to Colorado one summer with our camper. My mom and my dad loved to travel and they loved to camp. They belonged to a camping club through Eli Lilly, where my dad worked. They met so many people through camping, some of which remained friends for many years.

In 1981 my father passed away and we all thought that camping would be a thing of the past.

Then my mother called me up one day and said that she had bought this motor home. She missed camping. She missed traveling. My mother was back on the road again.

She would drive all by herself to the east coast of Florida to visit the Preacher and I. She would stay for a month or two and then drive over to the west coast of Florida to visit a friend and then drive back to Indiana. She loved it when the truckers would pass her by, and since she had a CB radio, she could hear them talking about the little old lady driving the motor home. I think she even talked back to them a time or two. She has even driven her camper out here. 

My mother has an independent spirit, to say the least. If you tell her that she can't do something, she will do it just to see if she can. I hope that when I grow up I will be this independent. Not afraid to want something and then to go after it. 

My mother turned 80 this year. She hasn't been able to go camping for about 3 years now due to some health issues. Just the other day she called and said that she's selling her camper. I was glad because I worry about her being out on the road by herself, but yet I was sad for her. I know how much she loves it. I am sad that this time in her life is ending.

She still is active. She plays cards with her friends. She has lunch with her church friends. She even gets together with some ladies that graduated high school with her. 

Like I said, I hope to be this independent at the age of 80!

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Love from the Preacher and I

No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...