Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Lessons From Flash

I finished the book I had been reading last month, "Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me About Life, Faith and Second Chances", by Rachel Anne Ridge, and I knew I wanted to share with you the lessons that we can learn from Flash.
                    (bear with me this is a long post)
I had heard of this book when reading the Illustrated Faith blog where the author of the blog, Shanna Noel, had recommended the book. I took one look at that cute donkey on the cover and knew I wanted to read all about Flash.



Rachel, the author, breaks down each chapter with lessons that she learned from this unexpected guest who showed up in their driveway late one night. 

Lesson 1 - Remember your name: Know whose you are.
Lesson 2 - Know where to find refuge: True sanctuary is found in God alone.
Lesson 3 - Run with horses: The pursuit of excellence conquers fear.
I think I enjoyed this chapter the best because I know that I sometimes tend to focus on what I don't have instead of what God has given me.
Lesson 4 - Find your passion: Passion leads to purpose.
Lesson 5 - Be a trailblazer: Persistence makes pathways for grace to follow.
Lesson 6 - Wear your donkey heart on your sleeve: A well-lived life is an authentic life.
Lesson 7 - Stand where fruit is falling: The secret of abundance is in choosing gratitude.
Lesson 8 - Be a service animal: You are made to serve in love.
Lesson 9 - Embrace change: Don't let fear of the unknown keep you from moving forward.
Lesson 10 - Make things right with others: Don't miss your chance to forgive, accept, and love.
Lesson 11 - Your journey isn't about fixing donkey problems: It's about transformation.

I think we can learn the life lessons that God may be trying to teach us through taking the time to observe a dog, a cat, or even a donkey. I think one of the lessons that Rachel learned was that if they had just drove on past the donkey in their lane, they would have missed so much of the love that Flash brought to their family.

Sometimes you need to be open to things that may seem to be obstacles at the time, but in reality they have been put there by God so that He can bless you in ways you would never imagine.

I highly recommend the book. It is available through Amazon and Kindle. If you do choose to read it, please let me know what life lessons you learned from Flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...