Sunday, March 1, 2015

how to make a house a home

 
While driving to Cheyenne Wells last Tuesday, I began to notice just how many old homesteads there are here on the plains. Old homes that are abandoned and decaying. Where did the people go? Did the people lose their house and land due to economic struggles? Did the children grow up and move leaving no one to help keep the farm going? Did the harsh winters and summers drive the family out of the plains and on to someplace more hospitable? You wonder while looking at these old homes.

I wonder about the family that once lived there. I'm sure that once upon a time that house was loved and if the walls could talk, they would tell you of all of the wonderful memories that were made there.

 I enjoy watching HGTV. I have watched this network since our cable company in Florida offered it as part of our package, back in the late '90's. Before that, my son and I would watch the all decorating shows the the Discovery Channel had to offer. 

 After watching a few shows, I would ask my son if he would like to help me rearrange our living room. He would first make a drawing of how he thought we should move the furniture and then the both of us would start moving everything around. We had so much fun working together on our home.

While watching HGTV's House Hunter's the other night, I began thinking about how some people enjoy looking for smaller homes and others feel the need to have a big home. I think the people were saying that the home they live in they have outgrown because of their family getting larger. I then began to hope that they would get the smaller of the three homes they had looked at because I knew that in just a few short years that home was going to be way to big for them.

I started thinking about the home we live in right now. It is big! We built our home 10 years ago and at the time it seemed to be just the right size. But as time goes on life changes, as it always does. My mother-in-law, who was living with us, has passed away (you can read about her here) and our son has joined the Army. Now it's just the Preacher and I (and one cat and one dog). We would love to "down-size" and get something a little smaller. 
Our log home here on the plains of Colorado
The Preacher and I have lived in many different types of houses. We have lived in everything from a tent, an apartment, a camper trailer and a house to a log cabin. In everyone of them we have made memories that we will always cherish. 

I think that that is the most important lesson to be learned here. Make memories in your house, design that house just the way you like it, paint or wallpaper the walls, move the furniture around, make family meals, and most importantly love those that live there! When you do these things you have just made that house into a home.


Update: Since this post was first published we have moved again into a smaller home that is in the city limits. And also we only have the cat. Our Max passed away and our Sarg went to live with our son. So a smaller home is better for us now. But we are still making memories and making it our home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...