Friday, June 12, 2015

Escape, But Don't Forgot Who You Are

In the Preacher's sermon last Sunday he spoke of a paralyzing fear. The kind that makes you not think correctly. The kind of fear that makes your body do things you know are not good — racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, queasy stomach. His sermon was not just directed to those seated in our church that day, it was directed to the Preacher and I as well.

That is the kind of week we had leading up to Sunday. A week of stress. A week of paralyzing fear. A week of wondering, over and over, "What do we do, what if the choices we make are wrong?" 

It never seems to fail that whatever the Lord leads the Preacher to teach, He leads us through it so that the lesson becomes even more clear.

When these trials come there is one thing that we enjoy doing -- escape! Of course we pray through our trials but after the storm settles we go and find something fun to do. Something to take our mind off of the hard decisions that we may be facing.

So this past weekend (our weekend consist of Sunday afternoon through Monday) we headed up to Estes Park. One of our favorite places in Colorado. We stayed at a local campground. We enjoyed eating at the restaurants. We enjoyed the beauty of the mountains. 
We sat on the porch swing and tried to relax and for a while we felt the tension leave our bodies.

But even when you try to escape the devil tends to find you. The devil came through a phone call and we tried really hard to continue to see the beauty all around us.

We since have come home and have gone back to work and that fear just seems to stay with us, the questions are still there. There are questions regarding personal issues and ministry issues.

Everyday we have been praying, asking the Lord to help show us how to work through these questions, and today, I believe, He sent me a song, "Remind Me Who I Am" by Jason Gray. 


When I lose my way, and I forget my name, remind me who I am
In the mirror all I see is who I don't wanna be
Remind me who I am
In the loneliest places when I cant remember what grace is
Tell me, once again
Who I am to You, who I am to You
Tell me, lest I forget
Who I am to You, that I belong to You
To You

This song helps to remind me that I am a child of God and He will not forsake us in our times of trouble. Yes it's good to escape to a quiet place in the mountains but don't forget that the Lord, who created those mountains, will be there too!

Love from the Preacher and I



No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...