Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Words of Encouragement in Time of Need



     Last week was not a good week for us financially. We have a few extra bills that we were not expecting and things just seemed to get a little out of control. 

     On Tuesday, both the preacher and I had doctor appointments in a town which is one hour away from our little town. The appointments were staggered enough that we would have to spend all day there. I knew we would be eating lunch at one of the local restaurants and then, of course being that close to a Wal-Mart, we would be getting groceries before coming home, therefore, spending more money! All of this was on my mind that Tuesday morning.

     While waiting on the preacher to finish getting things ready to go, I picked up my Art Journaling magazine and began to just browse the pages. I wasn't planning on actually reading any articles because I knew we would be leaving any minute. For some reason I stopped on the page you see in the picture above. I began to read what Mary Wisdom had wrote in her art journal:
"Lord, I feel lame for even admitting this, but I'm really feeling financial stress this month -- both tuition payments due the first week this time (and books!). Help me remember that it ALL belongs to you and help us use what you have given us wisely. Thank you for all you have given us--make me grateful & generous--not anxious & grasping...Help me remember your faithfulness in the past. Help me have faith that if we are wise and careful we can do this, we can meet our goals with your help. (Same for taxes, right...?)"
and then under that she wrote:
"Thank you, Lord, it all worked out and wasn't that bad. Help me remember this for the next time. Thank you"

     The Lord, even though I did not verbally talk with Him about my worries, knew what I was feeling, knew my anxiousness and my stress. I believe He, by His design, helped me to find that particular page at the exact moment I needed it.

     I won't lie and say that day or even the rest of the week went without further stress, but I do know that I continued to remember this prayer from someone I didn't even know, and it helped me get through that week. I actually carried this magazine with me all week just so I could re-read it when I felt the stress coming on. (Notice in the picture of the magazine the piece of paper---that was my bookmark for that exact page.) And just like the author of that prayer, we too were able to make it through.

     We cannot forget that the Lord always knows what we need when we need it. And I too need to pray for His 'help to remember this for the next time'.

     The author also included this scripture in her journal:
HUMBLE YOURSELVES, THEREFORE, UNDER GOD'S ALMIGHTY HAND. THAT HE MAY LIFT YOU UP IN DUE TIME. CAST ALL YOUR ANXIETY ON HIM BECAUSE HE CARES FOR YOU.       1 Peter 5:6-7 
     Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

one last blanket

  This little baby blanket has a story behind it. My mother is in a nursing home due to a severe stroke that weakened her legs and her hands...